Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have early onset of PD .I am concerned about Dyskinesia

Customer Question

I have early onset of PD .I am concerned about Dyskinesia with long term Dopamine use .Is there any harm if I stop taking the 3 rd dose of my Carbidopa-Levodopa 25-100 to encourage my body to continue making Dopamine .I have several times forgotten to take the last dose with little problem .I have heard Mucuna is a good subsitute with little side effects .
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. There is a concern with early parkinsons that using sinemet (LDopa/carbidopa) early in the course will cause receptor hyperplasia and make you more resistant to its effect later on The strategy is to use dopamine agonists initially, only adding sinemet as they become less effective. The two medications usually used initially are ropinerole (requip) or pramipexole (mirapex). Those medications encourage your body to make more dopamine, as opposed to sinemet, that replaces the dopamine that you are not able to make.

I have attached an abstract published in a well known neurology journal showing that Mucuna may have advantages over the use of standard L Dopa/carbidopa preparations. Please get back to me if you have questions. I hope I was able to answer your question, if satisfied, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars. thank you. Dr Frank

Hello. I hope I was able to answer your question. Please get back to me to discuss this further or if satisfied please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how i am compensated for my work. Thanks dr Frank.

Alex, I hope I was able to answer your question. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, or if satisfied, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks *****