Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have excruciating muscle spasms in my legs and feet and

Customer Question

I have excruciating muscle spasms in my legs and feet and hands. I take a statin drug because of my high cholesterol. I don't know how much longer I can take it. The pain is horrible. My doctor wants me to take the statins. She has changed it up but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I am afraid I am getting some terrible disease. I may prefer the highj cholosterol and take my chances.
Thanks.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 10 months ago.

Hello Welcome to JA. Yes, the most common way to get rid of statin myalgic syndrome is to change to a different statin. I assume you have tried lowering the dose. There is also Coenzyme Q10 which should be taken with the statin and may reduce the pain. Also you need to reduce exercise if that is a contributing factor. There is also a non-statin medication to lower your total cholesterol and shift up your HDL called ezetimibe (Zetia). Ask your doctor about that option. It seems that there are certain people that have pain with all the statins, though there are the newer ones which cause less pain. It is thought to be a genetic predisposition. You should have your CK (creatine kinase) level checked and if elevated, you should stop the medication. Please get back to me if I can help, just ask questions and I will reply. Or, if satisfied, please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks *****