Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Dr., Are you on to answer a question about a sensation in

Customer Question

Dr. Frank,
Are you on to answer a question about a sensation in the back or spine.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 10 months ago.

Hello Welcome to JA. Please send the question and I will try to answer it. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have been having this weird feeling in my upper mid back. Almost like its right under the skin. Kind of burning feeling I guess. I search google about it and cancer pops up all over the place. It has got me freaked out after looking at google. Its not like a shooting pain but just a feeling like someone is touching your back. Its between my shoulder blades. I have an L5/S1 disc bulge and that is painful and this is no where close to that pain. I think my anxiety is getting the best of me.

HI. Look at this. It is called notalgia paraesthetica. It is extremely common. I get it as well. It comes from working out, if you are using your back muscles. At least I think that is what does it for me. It comes from the dorsal spinal roots that exit the spinal cord to give sensation to your middle back , usually between the shoulder blades. I will attach some information on this condition. Take a look at it and get back to me to discuss it further if you wish. Or, if satisfied, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for my work thanks *****

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Is it bad to think the worse when you read the internet, etc? So many things pop up. I was being followed from 2012 to 2014 for incidental findings of lung nodules that never changed in size from my last chest CT in 2013. I had an abdominal and pelvic CT in 2014 that was normal. Wouldn't one of these had caught something major pressing on my spine. Man health anxiety can grab a hold of you. You guys probably hate patients like me that have the internet ha. But I read metastize of stuff can go to the back etc. I assume if it would be a big mass pushing on spine it would cause lots of other symptoms then what I am getting right? Plus the assurance of recent CT scans showing nothing is a good thing?

Why are they doing all those CT scans????? Your risk from radiation exposure is much worse than any risk of disease here. no big masses. Try to stay away from the computer on health issues, ok? Yes, you would be systemically sick with a big mass on your spine. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Well doing a CT in 2012 of my chest for something they see two small 3-4mm lung nodules one at bottom of each lung. I went to pulmonologist and he wanted to do a follow up one a year later to make sure they remained same size, characteristics etc. Then I went to my internal med doc in early 2014 and he thought I had appendicitis so he sent me for a abdominal and pelvic CT with contrast. But all those test were fine.

So the key is to change your focus away from this anxiety provoking mass of useless trivia online which is trying to control your existence. Don't let it win. So many better things available to you. Enjoy. Dr Frank.