Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Have had back surg 3 years ago same problem back again

Customer Question

Have had back surg 3 years ago same problem back again horrible and debilitating pain in my right leg
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 10 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

If you have had a laminectomy or a discectomy before for the same issue then this could be another disc prolapse.

However, it is not mandatory that you undergo surgery again. What is imperative and required here is an evaluation by a Neurosurgeon, preferably your previous surgeon, an MRI and a clinical examination. These investigations will help in deciding whether another surgery is required or if this can be dealt with by conservative measures such as strengthening exercises, physiotherapy and anti inflammatory medication.

For now I advise that you get some rest, avoid bending down and lifting weights. You should wear a soft binder around the waist and also start on an anti inflammatory like Aleve 500 mg twice a day.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Let me know if you have any related queries.

Best.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 10 months ago.

Hello I am a board certified US Neurologist and would like to answer your question. Could you send me a report of your latest MRI? Take out your name if you can as this is a public forum. Tell me about the distribution of the pain to your right leg, where is it? Also is it the same or different than the pain that took you to surgery? What exact surgery did you have? How can I help? Do you need explanations on your scans, suggestions for therapy, advice on whether you need more surgery and the risks, etc... Please get back to me to discuss. Dr Frank