Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I have had Diabetes since 1995 and past several years u have

Customer Question

I have had Diabetes since 1995 and for the past several years u have had neuropathy in my feet, and more recently, in my hands and ankles. I was put on Lyrica which helped with the pain but caused weight gain and was weened off of it. I am hoping to find another medicine which will help , but not cause weight gain. Also, is there anything that would help with the numbness, as I now feel like I'm walking on blocks of wood. Please help me with this as it gets much worse at night & I have trouble sleeping . Thank you, ***** *****
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

First I will ask couple of questions so that I can gather additional information related to your health concerns.

1) Is your diabetes control good?

2) Have you tried anything other than Lyrica for neuropathy, or is it the only treatment you have tried so far?

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was a period of several years when my diabetes was not in good control, but now I am trying very hard to stick to a special diet & there has been some improvement. I cannot seem to get my A1c below 7. There have been periods when it has been as high as 9.5 but I'm trying to stick to a low card diet now as much as possible(I make a vegetable soup with no salt in it & have this several times s day .) no bread, no pasta, no rice , no sweets..... Lyrica is the only medication I've tried but several years ago I went to s cyropractor who treated Neuropathy with injections 2 times a week . They did not seem to help.

Thanks for all these additional information. I am typing the answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Okay I am ready and I am posting my answer here.

Okay I see that lyrica was helping you with pain but unfortunately causing weight gain so had to come off it. What I will do is provide you with a list of varieties of treatments that are available to help with your neuropathy symptoms like pain & numbness etc.

This following is the list of several options to treat the neuropathy symptoms you are having;

1) Nervex (a neuropathy pain relief cream)

2) Capsaicin skin cream (another neuropathy pain relief cream)

3) Evening Primrose oil (a herbal preparation)

4) Neuroveen (a homeopathic treatment)

5) Lidocaine anesthetic pain relieving skin patches

6) Low Level Laser Therapy (Cold laser therapy)

7) Using medical devices like TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) or Calmare Scrambler Pain therapy

8) Complementary and Alternative medicine treatments like Acupuncture etc

I am not telling all these above treatments are required in your case, I am just providing you with a list of different treatment options that are available for the control of neuropathic symptoms you are having. And I have not mentioned any treatment that can cause any weight gain.

Along with one or more of the above treatments you may also try nutritional supplements like Metanx (a special combination of active vitamin b12, folate & vitamin b6), ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid) & Acetyl Carnitine etc and these supplements may help in nerve repair & nerve regeneration and this can additionally help in the relief from the pain & the numbness. And I see that with great effort from your side the diabetes control/HbA1c is improving, but it is still bit high around 7, you may discuss with your diabetes specialist to see whether they can help you further because if diabetes is brought under firm control then that itself can enormously help in the resolution of diabetic neuropathy symptoms.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor