Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I was diagnosed as having MS yesterday. My neurologist is

Customer Question

I was diagnosed as having MS yesterday.
My neurologist is recommending I start Tecfidera - almost immediately.
Is this normal / recommended?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. As a neurologist involved in experimental brain imaging and having worked in MS imaging and interacted with the top MS clinicians in the country (Fred LublinMD and Patricia Coyle MD) I can say that we have learned two important points. First, the number of exacerbations that you have during the period you are classified CIS ( clinically isolated syndrome) the first year sets the standard for how your disease will run. And two, most studies show that starting treatment early as possible helps to slow progression as measured by some parameters like MRI lesion burden and number of exacerbations, but maybe not all. So I would encourage you to take medicine as soon as you are offered the opportunity based on confirmation of the diagnosis. You should consider the method of taking the med. oral vs injection if you are needle phobic as compliance is the big problem in ms treatment and cost. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help. Or if satisfied with this answer please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank