Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I have had head pains last few days with the pain being at

Customer Question

i have had head pains for the last few days with the pain being at the back if my head on the top , if that makes sense. pain has been like a dull headache and comes and goes a bit.pain will increase some times if i move my face from side to side. what would this be?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

First I will ask few questions so that I can gather additional information related to your health concerns.

1) Have you ever had this type of symptom before, or is this the first time?

2) Any other symptoms like nausea, vomiting, fever, neck pain, blurring of vision etc, or any other new or unusual symptoms?

3) Do you have any medical conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes, cholesterol, thyroid diseases, or any other?

4) Are you under any excessive stress recently? Do you have any history of anxiety disorder, panic disorder or depressive illness etc?

5) Any recent trauma or injuries to the head or neck area?

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hello thanks for the reply.i have had the symptoms before about 18 months ago. local doctor said it was just my back was out. I have been getting neck pain as well. i am under stress at work at the mom, and we have baby arriving soon. the pain is low just feels liek the hole time i have a cloud/hand sitting on the top of my head. cheers rikky

Thanks Rikky for all these additional information, and I am very sorry I couldn't reply earlier as I was away from the computer and just returned.

Coming to the discussion;

Based on all these additional information from you I do not see any obvious explanations for this headache/head pain. This type of aches and pains most often turn out to be due to nothing serious and they are expected to resolve after few days. Even stress too can cause this type of symptom. If the symptom persists even after a week of wait and watch then getting examined by a doctor is recommended. After the clinical examination a brain scan like a CAT scan too need to be considered. Problems in the neck too sometimes present as ache or pain in the back of the head area. And you do have some neck pain, so this could be coming from the neck too. A disc bulge for example can present with symptoms in the head. This may also represent tension type headache with neck pain.

If the symptoms persist for more than a week then you may try to see your doctor as pointed above so that you will receive a thorough clinical examination and also a brain scan. If needed a scan of the neck too is to be considered and once the final precise diagnosis is made it will be treated appropriately. However from experience I can reassure you that these type of symptoms turn out to be nothing serious on most occasions.

Symptomatically if Panadol is not helping then you may try stronger pain killers like Naproxen or Ibuprofen etc, and you may also try hot or cold compressor too (if these are not tried already).

You are very welcome! Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor