Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

My 16yo got t my s temple. he is not sure if it was on it.

Customer Question

my 16yo got hit my his temple. he is not sure if it was on it. he has a bump on the side of it. he has nausea, jaw pain and dry left eye. Should he be seen at er
his sister passed by hit and just started to hit him when he was on a ladder. She was playing (I know it was stupid). He said he felt dizzy at first not just nauseated and has the jaw pain
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Blows to the side of the head, at or near the temple, can cause local pain and swelling that radiates into the jaw (because some of the muscles of the temple area attach to the jaw). This is a common injury and is less worrisome in the absence of a loss of consciousness. That said, there is an important blood vessel that runs under the skull in the region of the temple that can rupture during a severe blow to the side of the head (the skull is not as thick here as it is in the front and back). So it is important for you to observe your son over the next 3-4 hours. Dizziness and nausea, if persistent, can be a sign of something more serious. If there is a bleed under the skull you would expect to see some deterioration in his condition over the next 3-4 hours...decreased level of awareness, headache with worsening nausea, possibly vomiting, possibly changes in his vision or balance or speech. If he were to show any such signs you would want to have him evaluated immediately.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

In addition, some slow bleeds can occur that take several days to accumulate under the skull (e.g. subdural hematoma). These typically do not cause a rapid decline in neurological function and are usually not life-threatening but can lead to bad headaches and less severe versions of some of the neurological symptoms described above. Either type of bleeding under the skull (i.e. epidural hematoma or subdural hematoma) can be readily diagnosed by CT.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Does this make sense? Do you have any follow up questions about any of this?

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. How is your son doing? Do you have any more questions for me? Let me know if you do and I would be happy to help further.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Glad to help you in your time of need. Hope all is well. God bless.