Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

Male 36yo. No medical issues(bloodpressure, depression,ect)

Customer Question

Male 36yo. No medical issues(bloodpressure, depression,ect) no family history of neuro problems. I have had a few visits with a neuro for a twitch in only my left arm, rarely it will go to my cheek as well. the twitches last maybe a second or two, occure maybe two to three times a day, and at least 3 times a week. I have had 2 different MRI scans(brain w/ and without contrast, and 1 of my neck. No real concerns were found on my doctor. I've also had a EEG nerve test performed, along with 2day EMG recording. Results from those came back normal. Researching myself I've read about Huntington's disease. is it possible to only affect one part of the body in early stages. I donot have any balace problems, no loss in strenght or coordination, no slurred speech. I'm just at a loss I don't know where else to turn this doctor can't find anything for me. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Huntington's disease is an autosomal dominant disorder, which means that a person needs only one copy of the defective gene to develop the disorder. You would have had to get it from one of your parents who got it from one of their parents, and so forth. If there is no family history of neuro problems you can essentially rule this out. Twitching like you describe, in the absence of weakness, cramping, atrophy, dystonia, speech or vision problems, is almost always benign. A condition known as BFS (benign fasciculation syndrome) is very common among otherwise healthy young men such as yourself, and is highly associated with health anxiety.