Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My mother has been experiencing some weird attacks of some

Customer Question

My mother has been experiencing some weird attacks of some sort. Every so often she will get tingling/warm sensation on the left side of her body that makes her feel strange and sends her into anxiety. This doesn't happen until she goes back on her lasix medication. It wakes her up from sleep, and can happen when she's just sitting in her chair or doing daily tasks. She is on lasix for IIH (idiopathic intercranial hypertension) She has had a normal MRI, and a spinal tap that showed elevated pressure. Her blood work has been normal except for being slightly low in potassiam due to lasix. These attacks sometimes happen a few times a day but only last a couple minutes if that. She is also taking prednisone for psoriatic arthritis. Should she be worried about mini strokes?
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tingling sensation goes up and down the whole left side of her body. There is no pain or confusion and she can still function normally. These attack only last a minute and are gone.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

with only paresthesis, and being on lasix, I would doubt these are sensory TIA's (transient ischemic attacks) in the thalamus. I assume she has had an brain MRI and would want to know if there is white matter hyperintensities on the scan to suggest she has microvascular disease, but without that, my likely suspicion is that this is due to the low potassium as that is a known cause. She needs potassium supplementation. This is not directly related to IIH most likely, except that commonly a treatment for IIH is acetazolamide (Diamox) which also changes the pH of the blood by reducing carbon dioxide in the blood. With that you get tingling, it is almost expected with that drug. So she needs her electrolytes checked, does she have an anion gap???? Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, or rate my service by clicking on the rating stars if satisfied with this answer. Dr Frank