Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

My GP has suggested that I have fluid on the ears. How is

Customer Question

My GP has suggested that I have fluid on the ears. How is this caused and why can't I seem to get better?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

First I will ask few questions so that I can gather additional information related to your health concerns.

1) I see that you have tried Bisolvon & Aerius, have you tried anything else or are these the only treatments you have tried so far?

2) Have you undergone any investigations far?

3) Any history of fever?

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) is the only medicaton my GP suggested
He has looked into my ears a few times over the last few months with the same results. This time however, I have been very weak, tired, bad headaches, trouble eating and drinking.I have been laid up in bed for seven days now. I think I have a bit of fever but not sure.

Thanks for all these additional information. I am typing the answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Okay I am ready and I am posting my answer here.

There are various causes for developing fluid in the ear which include infections, inflammatory conditions, allergic conditions etc. Or there could be blockage of a tube which connects the ear to the throat and this also can cause development of fluid in the ear. Since the treatments you have already tried have not helped you need certain investigations are necessary to find out the cause for the accumulation of fluid in the ear, for example a CAT scan of the ear can help and then treated appropriately depending upon the test findings. Just the external ear examination is not sufficient, rather investigations like CAT scan etc are necessary in these circumstances. In the meantime a course of antibiotic like Augmentin or Azithromycin or Ofloxacin etc too may be considered because fluid inside the ear is commonly due to some infections, and there is suspicion for infection in you because you are having now additional symptoms like feeling weak, tired, requiring bed rest, having headaches, and questionable fever too.

And when they do the CAT scan of the ear they also need to do the CAT scan of the brain as well because you are having headaches too.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor