Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

Past month or so, my arms will fall asleep at night at the

Customer Question

For the past month or so, my arms will fall asleep at night at the C8-T1 dermatome with pain without laying on them. Now during the day it's causing nerve pain within my forearm and a feeling of weakness. My index finger and ring finger have fasciculationa due to it. I have shoulder pain and weakness as well. I have recently started lifting weights again and am wondering if that could be part of it. I also have symptoms similar to Thoracic outlet syndrome when I raise my hands above my head. The pain in the forearm is a 5-6/10 at its worst but it seems to make me lose a little bit of dexterity. I can still write and type fine but I can notice the fasciculations when I'm holding a piece of paper. The pain is located near the medial and lateral epicondyles and it's a weird sensation. I still have the same strength and am able to lift weights but my hands feel kind of shaky. I had a CT scan last month and everything was normal. I have had four concussions and had a severe headache so that was the premise of the CT. Just trying to find a solution to this problem. I have muscle twitches at random in my quadriceps and triceps/biceps as well but they usually stop on their own. Should I get massage therapy to relax the thoracic outlet or Any suggestions?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. Symptoms such as these are often the result of repetitive strain of the muscles of the shoulder girdle and arms. Weightlifting is a significant risk factor, particularly if the amount and/or type of lifting changed in the weeks or months leading up to the onset of symptoms. In such cases, rest, anti-inflammatories and therapy (physical therapy, massage therapy, acupuncture, etc) can be very helpful. That said, there could also be a problem at the level of the cervical spine. Conventional x-rays and even CT would not likely be helpful in ruling out a problem with the spinal cord or nerve roots. You would need an MRI.