Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

A 65 YR. OLD MALE-7 CANCERS-REMISSION-MIRACLE-4 COMAS BENIGN

Customer Question

I AM AM A 65 YR. OLD MALE-7 CANCERS-REMISSION-MIRACLE-4 COMAS BENIGN BRAIN TUMOUR.
LAST 8 DAYS-INTENSE BURNING FROM HEAD TO TO-NON-STOP. WHAT COULD IT BE-NO DIAGNOSIS. THOUGHTS.
THANKS.
EDWARD
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

Hello, it sounds like from your description that you have a paraneoplastic neuropathy, or an mostly axonal neuropathy from vincristine toxicity. Vincristine is a microtubular inhibitor, it stops cellular growth in metaphase by disrupting the filaments that pull the chromosomes apart. In the nerve cell, it is thought to disrupt axonal transport of nutrients in the axoplasm, a jelly that moves up and down the nerve. There are microtubules inside the nerve axon, and transport is slowed dramatically. So you need an evaluation for peripheral neuropathy, that I would think you have received in the past??? An EMG/NCV study, and maybe even a peripheral nerve biopsy to look at the degree of axonal loss/demyelinating injury in the nerve segment. Alternatively, this could be small fiber neuropathy, and you would have been diagnosed by skin biopsy ( a 5 mm punch biopsy of your skin, did you get that ?). Let me know how I can help? Please respond to this answer with questions and I will reply, or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks Dr Frank

4 Jan 2016, 9:13 PM

Me

Hello. I left you an answer but you didn't return. Please get back to me it i can help. Dr

Hello Edward. If this is too technical for you. get back to me to discuss this further. Dr Frank