Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I am having what I feel is restless leg syndrome but my

Customer Question

I am having what I feel is restless leg syndrome but my doctor says no. My situation is worse when laying down, my legs start aggravating me and I will wrestle my leg for hours trying to get comfortable. Now I am having pain like someone is stabbing me in my big toe with an ice pick. Not on the same leg.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 11 months ago.

I'm Dr Chaithanya, experienced General Physician attending you today.

What other health diseases you have? hypertension? diabetes? what medications are you on?

From when do you have symptoms? What other symptoms you have?

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

Hello mellisa welcome to JA. You can have RLS symptoms secondary to a variety of causes including spinal stenosis or arthritic change in your lumbar spine

One of the keys is knowing the anatomic changes in your lower back. Many insurance companies will allow for MRI imaging if you have confirmation of radiculopathic disease ( disc disease in your back pinching nerves) by normal X-ray or emg ( nerve) testing by the neurologist

So you need a diagnosis as to cause. A neurologist can help with that by specific tests and findings on the neurological exam. Please get back to me to discuss this further or if satisfied with this answer please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks dr Frank

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The only medication I am taking is Sertrsline 100 mg a day. I do not have any other health related issues such as diabetes, or high blood pressure. This has been happening off and on for about 6 months. It doesn't bother me till I lay down to go to sleep. In the past I have had a searing hot pain in the middle of my left calf which is what sent me to the doctor in the first place. When I drive (manual transmission) my leg will hurt from the inside of my left thigh down into my calf and sometimes radiates down to my toe. When I lay in the bed I can't stand anything touching my leg or my toes. The big toe on my right leg has started feeling as if someone has stabbed an ice pick into the top of it. I can not walk on a treadmill as it causes my muscle in that leg to tighten up and cause the searing pain in my calf. I am now trying to do an elliptical for about 10 minutes at a time. Does not help the pain when I lay down. I have tried over the counter restless leg meds and it seems to take the edge off but does not alleviate it all together
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not have any swelling or hot to touch points. So I do not think it is a blood clot.

Hi. I would say no to a blood clot as well. Primary RLS is a disorder similar to Parkinson's in fact it is found in patients with family history of Parkinson's. It is dopamine depletion in the spinal cord. One symptom of RLS is an "indescribable " pain coupled by this urge to have to move your legs at night when just starting to rest, like in a recliner watching tv in the evening or in bed. You are kicking your legs around to get comfortable. What you might be describing is hyperpathia an abnormal sensation in your toes that is linked to PN or root pain in the back

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have been trying to get off alprazolam for the past 6 to 8 months. I finally ran out and my doctor said with my only taking 1mg a day .5 in the am and .5 in the pm that I should be able to stop taking it altogether. Which I did and I am now on week 2 of not taking any of it. I have had some withdrawal such as not sleeping, nausea, to can't get enough to eat. Could this be a trigger? I also just recently weened myself off of bupropion as well. I do smoke.

Absolutely. Benzodiazepine withdrawal is certainly the most likely reason even with a history of RLS prior to starting them.

But you have to be very specific in defining symptoms to diagnose correctly. A neurologist would test your peripheral nerves by emg. Do some blood work for PN. Get you a treatable diagnosis. Sometimes just a trial of a low dose dopamine agonist med like pramipexol (mirapex) to look for improvement overnight is key. Blood work includes fasting glucose anemia tests b12 folate levels vit D

Benzodiazepines are used to treat RLS told, but their abrupt withdrawal can precipitate symptoms