Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.
88123236

My girlfriend has what she calls "shocking pain"

Customer Question

My girlfriend has what she calls "shocking pain" in her face. The doctor suspects that it's trigeminal neuralgia. What other condition could it possibly be besides TN, and what are the chances that it's TN? What are the chances that it's just a vessel pushing against the trigeminal nerve, and what are the chances that it could be a tumor? What is the success rate of microvascular decompression relieving the pain? If MVD is unsuccessful, what other means of treatment are available?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 1 year ago.

I'm Dr Chaithanya, General Physician attending you today.

Trigeminal neural is chronic neuropathic pain. It is like an electic sensation kind of pain lasts for seconds to minutes, and triggers by contact or movement.

Other conditions with facial pain can be dull, throbbing pain seen in atypical facial pain or migrane. Stress and cold can aggravate these pains, but trigeminal neuralgia is aggravated by eating, movement, light touch, washing etc.

Acoustic neuromas, meningiomas, cerebral aneurysms, occipital neuralgia syndromes, glossopharyngeal neuralgia, trigeminal neuromas, can produce syndromes similar to idiopathic trigeminal neuralgia.

There is no diagnostic work up required as the history of TN is typical and doctor can diagnose it well. Now MRI brain can ruleout the secondary causes of TN if any.

The treatment of TN is mostly medical, drugs like carbamazepine, the patient will be improving mostly with medical therapy.

MVD is one type of treatment for a type of TN where a vessel compresses nerve when the nerve leaves the brain stem.

The treatment differs based on the original caus eof it, if it is idiopathic [no specific cause found] or secondary.

Hope I helped you today. If done for now, please leave positive rating [Request to click on the 5th star] above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today.

We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback.

You can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Chaithanya" in the medicine or health categories.

If you have any medical questions in future, save this link to reach me.

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-chaithanya/

A little bonus from your side is highly appreciated!

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Hi, Do you mind rating the answer positively [clcik on 5th star], only then I'm compensated for the answer :) Thanks for that.