Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have had tineaversacolor years. Recently have experienced

Customer Question

I have had tineaversacolor for many years. Recently have experienced a redness with much itching. Also have noticed 2 bruise marks one on my mid right rib cage and one on my forearm. Also have pinhead red dots. What might be causing the present red itchy patch areas.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond. Dr Frank

Hi. Unfortunately you are the right age for shingles. Herpes zoster virus. The key is the dots are tiny raised or peaked spots with vermillion (red) bases or borders. The peaks themselves if not scratched have clear centers and clear fluid. They are arranged in bunches of grapes design

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The dots are not grouped together they are isolated from one another
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The red dots are not causing the itching

They do not cross midline of your body and follow a dermatomal distribution. Let me know. Times versicolor is white and scaly or flakey. It can cover the midline and is more round or oval shaped. There is also pytyriasis which has the herald patch and red spots. Get back to me to discuss or rate me by clicking on the rating stars. Thanks. Dr Frank

Can you take a picture? How about mites or scabies. Animals around.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've had tineaversacolor for many years. That's not my present concern. The red dots I've have at different times in my life. My concern is the itching and redness that just erupted out of no where. I wanted to rule out scabies

Yes. Mites or scabies. You need to take a skin scraping and look at it under the microscope on koh prep. Oh you treat empirically with kwell shampoo and lotion depending on where it is I think you need a prescription. You could call the pharmacy. Maybe not

For itching you use benedryl or calamine lotion. You can take an oral antihistamine but you need kwell