Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I fell and landed on my knee cap. What does a doctor do if a

Customer Question

I fell and landed on my knee cap. What does a doctor do if a knee cap is fractured?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

Patellar fractures do happen, but rarely when young. As we age, especially if you have degenerative arthritic disease of the knee, you can fracture the patella. Usually though, especially if very painful, it is prepatellar bursitis that is the problem, an inflammation of the bursa, a sac of protective fluid, on the underside of the knee cap, that is inflammed from the trauma, swollen, etc. You can check for prepatellar bursitis with some testing while seated. But to answer your question, if you have fractured your patella, they will put you in a supportive brace to stabilize the patella and prevent its separation when using the leg, like flexing at the knee. I can send you information about the specific braces, etc. Did you get an xray of your knee? Dr Frank

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No

I see, no xray. So the most common problem is that the fall caused prepatellar bursitis , and irritated the capsule of the knee, that produces fluid,, and you knee is swollen, is that the case? if it is, you need to do RICE (rest the knee, Ice the knee, compression (ace) bandage to the knee, and elevation of the leg so flluid drains. In addition, Aleve or Naproxyn helps reduce the swelling. how can I help you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What exactly is the test for prepatella bursitis?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 10 months ago.

The clinical test is balottement. here is a page on it. The radiologic test is an xray series of the knee, measuring the AP diameter and certain distances on the xray. Please remember to rate my service if satisfied, as that is how I am compensated for my work Dr frank https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballottement

Hello. I hope I was able to answer your question. Please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank