Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have Parkinson had a dbs put in3 yers ago I can get to

Customer Question

I have Parkinson had a dbs put in3 yers ago I can get to sleep wonder if I turn the dbs off if it would help
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. To answer your question, I think you would have to discuss this issue with the neurologist/neurosurgeon who is working with you to adjust the DBS for maximal benefit There are several issues, 1) placement of the DBS, into which specific area was it placed (nuclear areas of the globus pallidus interna, etc) and how that placement effects sleep and 2) how is Parkinson's disease by itself effecting your sleep patterns? Did you have this problem before DBS, was it linked to a certain medication (dopamine agonists like Mirapex classically cause sleep disturbances, as do the anticholinergic agents like amantadine,or other drugs,like seligiline, Zelapar, if you are taking that). I will review the literature about sleep disturbances specific to DBS/Parkinson's patients and return with additional information if found. Please get back to me to discuss this further. Dr Frank

here is an article about Parkinson's and sleep/wake disturbances http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3544335/

To answer your question a little better. I did a review on NMS (non motor symptoms) of Parkinson's disease, one of which is abnormalities in the sleep/wake cycle. There is only one paper that has been published claiming an improvement in sleep in Parkinson's patients, and that was with unilateral (one sided) stimulation only. Here is the abstract. Dr Frank http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17823535

I hope I was able to answer your question, I think you still need to call the DBS group, and ask them about this question, they may have some options of which I am not aware. Conversely, you could see a neurologist who specializes in Sleep medicine for a sleep study, and advice on improving that problem. Please get back to me if I can help, or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this answer by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. thanks *****

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 10 months ago.

Peter, please check out the answer I left for you, you can reply and I will return to respond. Dr Frank