Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I just turned 40 and am not over weight, very active and

Customer Question

Hi I just turned 40 and am not over weight, very active and have been dealing with lower back pain that is unlike anything I've had before. Hard to describe but, if I'm sitting and shift my weight to lean on my left elbow, there's an abrupt shift in my hip and spine. Feels like taking a ladder and turning it into a stair case. Soft crunching sound like popping knuckles. It aches near the center of my left buttock.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

Hi there. Sorry to hear about your pain. How long have you had it? Have you ever injured your back?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I picked up something heavy at work 6 months ago and it's just gotten worse since then. Ive changed careers since then and am currently waiting for my insurance to start after the probation period has ended. All I want is to just get an x-ray at the least. What are my options right now without coverage
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

Without coverage an MRI would probably be too costly. Normal plain films (X-rays) are a reasonable place to start, to rule out a compression fracture, degenerative changes, slippage of the vertebrae, etc. Start with 2 views only and ask for a discount as a "self-pay" patient. The imaging center will often negotiate in this type of situation.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

Hi Kelly. Did you have any follow up questions? Let me know if you do and I would be happy to help further. If you have no additional questions, please don't forget to provide a rating. Thank you.