Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I had an MRI a couple weeks ago, does this rule out

Customer Question

I had an MRI a couple weeks ago, does this rule out seizures?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

A normal MRI does not rule out seizures. They can occur for various reasons that do not always show up on MRI.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok because they did it for blurry vision and dizziness and everything was normal and the wrote it off to anxiety, yesterday went to see my psychiatrist and he asked about the seizure thing but also thinks anxiety because the only thing that takes this away is xanax
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Your thoughts please
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

Sorry I am not in a position to place a phone call. Xanax is a pretty good medication for relieving anxiety, but keep in mind that taking it then stopping it can precipitate seizures.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is the only thing that relieves the dizziness, don't you think the neurologist would have brought up seizures or did a physical exam if suspected
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

Yes. I think he or she would have discussed this possibility with you if there was a suspicion.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

The MRI may have been to look for a mechanical cause for your dizziness, such as a mass.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what could it be, it's driving me crazy
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 11 months ago.

Sometimes recalcitrant dizziness is due to an acoustic neuroma. a noncancerous (benign) and usually slow-growing tumor that develops on the main nerve leading from your inner ear to your brain. Because branches of this nerve directly influence your balance, pressure from an acoustic neuroma can cause unsteadiness, as well as ringing in the ears or hearing loss. A large AN may show up on MRI, though a small one could be missed. This may have been another reason for the scan.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. Did you have any follow up questions for me? Let me know if you do and I would be happy to help further. if you have no additional questions, please don't forget to provide a rating. Thank you.