Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

Two weeks ago out of no where I lost feeling in my

Customer Question

Two weeks ago out of no where I lost feeling in my fingertips of left hand. Hand was also warm to touch as days progressed the middle part of my wrist became swollen and still is. I first went to a walk in had X-rays done it was a doctor who was very older in age he diagnosed me w carpal tunnel and wanted me to see an ortho hand Doctor the following week. I left with a brace(which I'm still wearing) and Mobic an anti inflammatory. I refused offer for narcotic pain meds although I was and still am although not to same extent in pain. I went to the orth hand doctor on Monday and after having a few sensory tests, explaining story and believe my X-rays were also sent for viewing, the doctor called in one of her colleagues also not sure but both agreeing that carpal tunnel it wasn't since I hadn't had previous symptoms etc. I am a 39 year old female my general health is good, I do smoke occasionally and have a few drinks occasionally too. I do work on computer frequently and also travel for work. All of this was info they received too. I was left without any explanation and told that I needed some blood work completed for further testing and would like for me to start therapy tom. Needless to say, I still have no idea what diagnosis even is and am so frustrated already just want to hope for best and let time heal. The only issue is that the middle wrist were swollen(no bruising) is still very sore and although has been in brace for past two weeks and continually use ice to help at night esp in beginning when pain was unbearable, and feels weak almost, and still getting sharp pains esp when I remove brace periodically. My fingertips have finally become normal to the touch and are no longer an issue which I assume is a very good sign, but I really would like to know diagnosis. I would like to know if I should continue using brace and will heal in time, if there's something that can be done to hurry healing process, and to make sure that this isn't something I'm most likely going to avoid returning to doctors anymore since assuming not that serious and can heal with some aleve and wearing of brace for a few weeks or so. I'm really frustrated not having an exact diagnosis, don't have the time nor continual charging per visit co pays for something that will be fine. Yet, if this is something more I'm hoping you can help diagnosis, or provide me with your expertise answer. Thanks so much
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me which fingertips lost feeling? Did you notice any redness in the wrist at this time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was the index middle and ring finger mostly, the feeling has come back and now its fine(normal). No redness at wrist
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Those fingers are innervated by the median nerve, the same one involved in carpal tunnel syndrome. While not CTS, you may have had an acute median mononeuropathy from the swelling in the wrist compressing the median nerve as it passes through the narrow tunnel. The inflammation could have been triggered by repetitive strain or the initial flare of a medical condition such as rheumatoid arthritis or hypothyroidism.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

If related to repetitive strain, resting the wrist and wearing a splint should make a big difference over the course of a few weeks. A phyical therapist or occupational therapist could help to determine what factors may be contributing to the problem and address them for you. To rule out a medical condition you would need blood test first, including a CRP (C-reactive protein), ESR (sed rate), RF (rheumatoid factor), CBC and thyroid levels. You might also need liver function tests and a hepatitis panel. If the blood tests fail to point to an etiology, and your symptoms do not resolve over the next few weeks with rest, it would be a good idea to consult with a rheumatologist.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kerry. Did you have any follow up questions? I would be happy to help you further.

If you have no more questions, please don't forget to provide a rating. Thank you.