Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have a pretty constant aching pain in my jaw. It is

Customer Question

I have a pretty constant aching pain in my jaw. It is starting to cause headaches regularly. It has been pretty constant for about 60 days. I have researched mandibular trigeminal neuralgia and TMJ. I really cant determine the difference between the two or decipher which i may have.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What should my first step be in getting this diagnosed and fixed?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly, please read this preliminary answer and respond. Dr Frank

Is it both sides of the jaw equally, or just one side of your face, that is the most important aspect. Then, does this come on suddenly, is there a "lancinating" quality to the pain? Is there triggers to starting this pain syndrome? Any family history of this problem? OR does it seem more mechanical as from chewing and talking, located in the temporal mandibular fossa, does it hurt when you push on the TMJ? Any oral surgery or tooth problems? Dr Frank