Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I have depression of the type that causes a lot of

Customer Question

i have depression of the type that causes a lot of irritability and anger outbursts as well as severe anxiety (PTSD). I have been on wellbutrin for years, but i feel it has started to exacerbate the anger issue. Is there another antidepressant that would help with both depression and anxiety, without exacerbating anger and without sexual side effects or weight gain? I have thought about Cymbalta, however I dont want to feel foggy, and i dont want to deal with weight gain or lack of sex drive.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

The currently available antidepressants or antianxiety agents all have one or other side effects that you have mentioned (issues with sexual side effects, weight gain, cognitive impairments or alertness etc), in fact Wellbutrin is the best in this regard because it does not affect sexual function or rather it may actually help, no weight gain usually or it may help with weight loss, and also it does not cause too many or too much mental side effects. But if you are looking for some other meds then there are really no such options because every antidepressant will have at least one side effect that you are concerned of.

I am not sure whether you are open to non-medication approaches to treat depression, anxiety, anger, irritability, PTSD etc, if you are open to this suggestion then you may look at one or more of the following options;

CBT (Cognitive Behavioral therapy)

Biofeedback

Hypnotherapy

Acupuncture

Yoga & meditation

Deep breathing/Deep relaxation techniques

Medical device for treatment of anxiety, depression, PTSD etc – This medical device is called as CES (Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation) device - an excellent/effective non-medication medical device treatment without any obvious or any serious side effects, also none of the side effects that you are concerned of.

If you see any of the above treatments you have not already tried then you may please consider trying it to help with your health conditions and also without the fear of any side effects.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor