Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

My husband has decreased hand strength and now leg weakness

Customer Question

my husband has decreased hand strength and now leg weakness - we were referred to a
neurologist - what are they looking for
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Decreased strength started initially in the hand and now in the leg can be due to various structural problems in the brain or in the spinal cord. Strokes, demyelinating lesions, tumors, infectious or inflammatory conditions of the brain, or disc or arthritis problems etc in the spine or pinched spinal nerves too can cause hand & leg weakness. Peripheral nerve diseases also can cause hand & leg weakness. A condition called as MND (motor neuron disease) too can cause weakness of the hand & legs. His neurologist will initially conduct a thorough neurological examination, and this will be followed by arranging certain relevant neurological investigations like a brain scan (for example a brain MRI scan), and if necessary an MRI scan of the spine, and a nerve & muscle test called as EMG/Nerve conduction test etc and once a final diagnosis is made it will be treated appropriately.

And please see that the symptoms your husband has developed in the hand & leg do not automatically mean that there is an underlying serious condition, in fact on many occasions these type of symptoms are related to some benign non-serious conditions which can be treated/cured, so please not to panic, you guys please try to see his neurologist asap so that he can receive a thorough clinical evaluation/clinical examination and also certain relevant investigations too as pointed above (the MRI scans, the EMG Nerve & muscle test etc) and once final precise diagnosis is made it will be treated appropriately. An early diagnosis and treatment gives the best chance for quick and complete cure so you guys please try to see his neurologist as soon as possible.

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor