DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

There! I'm suspecting my mom has Alzheimer's. She had a MRI

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, there! I'm suspecting my mom has Alzheimer's. She had a MRI and the doctor told her that her brain's getting dry. I just want a real professional to read her scans and let me know what's going on with her. Do you think you can help?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Are you a bot or a real person?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Neurology Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 11 months ago.

Hello

Scans can not diagnose Alzhemiers.

The doctor is talking about brain degeneration or shrinkage.

This is a non specific finding and does not provide a diagnosis, as it happens with ageing.

To diagnose alzheimers requires testing that is clinical, such as the mental status exam.

This can be done by a clinical psychologist, psychiatrist, or neurologist, or a GP if trained.

The likelyhood of degenerative brain disease can be established in this way, and then a neurology consult is in order.

Scans will not diagnose Alzheimers however.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

If you type in the full scan report here, i will be glad to comment further.

OK, so that is an initial answer….