Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I am being treated with prednesone edema of my legs, reduced

Customer Question

Hello I am being treated with prednesone for peripheral edema of my legs, reduced kidney and liver function. I have no appetite, diarrhea, nausea, my teeth are tingling and there is a bulge (painful) on my right leg which feels like vein. They did an ultrasound of both legs on Dec 26 and did not find a clot.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ed. While ultrasound is not a perfect test, it's reassuring they did not find a clot. That rules out a clot in the deeper veins usually. You could still have a clot (on inflammation) in one of your superficial veins. These are the ones closer to the surface that we can often see under the skin. They are often bluish in color and curvy like a snake. When inflammed, we call it "thrombophlebitis" and treat it with warm compresses and anti-inflammatories. Prednisone might help in this regard as it is an anti-inflammatory. In cases where an infection exists, or is suspected, antibiotics may be needed to promote improvement.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.

Does this make sense to you?