Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

If your back spasms in a way that feels like someone put

Customer Question

if your back spasms in a way that feels like someone put their foot on the small of your back and then tried to pull your hips closed behind you and no position is really comfortable (although side-lying on my right is better than the rest), is this a see your doctor when you can or a go to the ER?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 11 months ago.

Hello!

I would START with 2 ALEVE plus 2 TYLENOL --- alternate heating pad and cold pack to the lower back. A topical such as Aspercream may be of some help. Generally low back pain will be more of a wait and see your doctor early next week. Trying the above measures may help hopefully....

If pain is so severe that you can not sleep then proceed to ER

IF you can tolerate and see your doctor first of next week that is usually preferred as most of the time back pain is not a true emergency ..

Max dose on Tylenol is 4000mg per 24 hours ( 8 extra strength tablets) max Aleve is 4 tablets per 24 hours ( Ibuprofen may substitute for Aleve and max would be 2400mg per 24 hours)

With the NSAIDS take care to take with food or milk ...

If you have other concerning symptoms such as fever / nausea and vomiting/ blood in urine then go ahead to ER....

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD