Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

During WW2 I was in the Army 332 nd Harbor Craft Unit

Customer Question

During WW2 I was in the Army 332 nd Harbor Craft Unit Operating the Harbor at LeHavre,
France. We had 2 30 ft. tug boats and 1 60 ft. tug boat.
Supply ships were unloaded onto Barges and we would tow them into the LeHavre, Harbor.
The English Channel was filled with mines and every time we went to get a barge I felt
Traumatized any very Nervous
One ship hit a mine and was slowly sinking. The ships crew had already abandoned ship.
But our crew had to board the ship and make sure no one was trapped inside and could not
get out. That incident made me even more nervous and Traumatized.
On another incident a tanker ship hit a mine and exploded. Only 1 person survived.
On another Occasion we had to take the 60 ft. tug to Wales, England and tow a
floating crane back to LeHarve, France. That was Traumatic because the English Channel
was full of mines and some Submarine activity.
Next myself and 2 other men were transferred to a unit near Rheims, France for refresher training. The weather suddenly turned and we had to go through the Infiltration
Course. We were Wet, Muddy and cold. My feet were frost bit and was sent to a Hospital
near Rheims, France. After about 10 days or 2 weeks I was discharged and sent to a
replacement depot. After two or three weeks I was shipped to Marseille, France and
boarded a ship going to the Philippine Islands. The War had Ended with Germany and
I was hoping to be sent home. That increased my Trauma and nervousness.
In your opinion are the above incidents sufficient for my present condition?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  khagihara replied 11 months ago.

What is your condition?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No change

Is your condition nervousness? What symptoms does the trauma cause besides nervousness?