Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I been having these upper back and arm aches and sometimes pain. I have a fever of 99.1

Customer Question

Hi I been having these upper back and arm aches and sometimes pain. I have a fever of 99.1 but never gets higher than that. Also I believe my right nodes under neck is a bit swollen but never huge or hard.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.
Hello. welcome to JA. How can I help? Diffuse myalgias are seen in rheumatological conditions like fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome, in the setting of sleep disturbances. A temperature of 99.1 does not meet criteria for a fever, it starts at 99.5, so that is all normal. Do you have a family history of rheumatological disease like rheumatoid arthritis, any other autoimmune diseases like lupus or sarcoid in the family? If you have diffuse lymph node enlargement, you again consider chronic fatigue syndrome, which is in essence a chronic form of mononucleosis, or chronic Epstein barr virus infection, so you have lymphnode enlargement. You do not need a fever for that diagnosis, but should have blood studies to include a CBC (complete blood count) looking at your white count, your percent monocytes and lymphocyte count. You can get chronic ebv exposure measured with IgG and IgM antibody titers. Get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, or if satisfied, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for this work. Thanks *****