Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I am a 62 years old woman and i have a shaky hands since

Customer Question

i am a 62 years old woman and i have a shaky hands since childhood but i always disregard it since it was never difficult for me to accomplish tasks...However,now days when i age my head becomes shaky at times...especially when i turn to my left side...what could be the cause....
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and respond shortly, please read that initial answer and reply if you have questions Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

The most likely cause of your symptoms is a neurological disorder called Essential Tremor. It used to be called Benign Essential Tremor, but there is nothing benign about it as it effects quality of life, so they changed the name. The problem with your head is a progression of ET, it is called head titubation. This type of problem is often familial. The most famous woman I know to have it was Katherine Hepburn, who made it famous in her movie, "On Golden Pond" where it effected her voice, her head and her hands. There are a variety of medical treatments for it, there are new tests that can tell you how depleted in dopamine you are in certain areas of your brain to cause it (DatScan), etc. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help. One place to check online is the Essential Tremor Foundation which is in Washington DC and provides services to effected individuals. If satisfied with this answer and don't wish to discuss, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks dr frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am here to answer your questions, please get back to me to discuss Dr frank