Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I have pulsating episodes in my head, in which my hearing

Customer Question

I have pulsating episodes in my head, in which my hearing gets muffled or sort of like a swooshing effect. I also feel pressure in the back of my head like my head is swelling. Sometimes my brain feels like it's moving around and I feel uneasy on my feet. These episodes lasting about a minute and usually happen about a minute or two after I get up and start walking but not always. I've been diagnosed with a 2cm Menangioma nearly occluding the Sagittal sinus positioned at the crown of my head. Neurosurgeons all say my symptoms are not related and the tumor was an incidental finding. A Nuerologist has ordered additional MRI's of my neck and thoracic spine, Seizure sleep tests and I've had my hearing checked out with ENT and eyes checked too. Everyone is stumped. I am on no medications and according to my GP a healthy 41yr old female. Thyroid and Anemia tests come back normal. Blood pressure is normally 100/60 range. I've actually tested it while having an episode at a grocery store and it was somewhere around 110/67. The only pain I have is on the right side of my neck which I feel I need to crack my neck to relieve pressure but that has been going on for about a decade. Any ideas on diagnosis? My head pulsating episodes have been happening multiple times a day for 6 months.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  khagihara replied 11 months ago.

Your symptoms don't seem to be related to the meningioma. It could be due to anxiety and migraines. However, if there is subsequent evidence of tumor growth, I suggest active treatment with surgery. For younger patients in good overall medical condition as you, early definitive intervention is an appropriate alternative to active surveillance.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't have headaches and I lead a pretty stress free life as a dance instructor. I don't think I have anxiety or migraines.

You should have a sleep-drived EEG test and an ambulatory EEG test so that EEG can be recorded during your symptoms.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I had a sleep deprived EEG - no findings. Of course I didn't have an episode while there. I will ask for an ambulatory EEG when I see my new neurologist this week. What are your thoughts on surgery vs radiation for a 2cm meningioma nearly occluding the Sagital Sinus near the crown of my head. I've been given both options and both sound scary.
Expert:  khagihara replied 10 months ago.

In general, the ideal treatment of a benign meningioma is surgical resection if possible. Considering the location of your meningioma, surgery is appropriate.