Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I have pulsating episodes in my head, in which my hearing

Customer Question

I have pulsating episodes in my head, in which my hearing gets muffled or sort of like a swooshing effect. I also feel pressure in the back of my head like my head is swelling. Sometimes my brain feels like it's moving around and I feel uneasy on my feet. These episodes lasting about a minute and usually happen about a minute or two after I get up and start walking but not always. I've been diagnosed with a 2cm Menangioma nearly occluding the Sagittal sinus positioned at the crown of my head. Neurosurgeons all say my symptoms are not related and the tumor was an incidental finding. A Nuerologist has ordered additional MRI's of my neck and thoracic spine, Seizure sleep tests and I've had my hearing checked out with ENT and eyes checked too. Everyone is stumped. I am on no medications and according to my GP a healthy 41yr old female. Thyroid and Anemia tests come back normal. Blood pressure is normally 100/60 range. I've actually tested it while having an episode at a grocery store and it was somewhere around 110/67. The only pain I have is on the right side of my neck which I feel I need to crack my neck to relieve pressure but that has been going on for about a decade. Any ideas on diagnosis? My head pulsating episodes have been happening multiple times a day for 6 months.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Your symptoms don't seem to be related to the meningioma. It could be due to anxiety and migraines. However, if there is subsequent evidence of tumor growth, I suggest active treatment with surgery. For younger patients in good overall medical condition as you, early definitive intervention is an appropriate alternative to active surveillance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have headaches and I lead a pretty stress free life as a dance instructor. I don't think I have anxiety or migraines.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

You should have a sleep-drived EEG test and an ambulatory EEG test so that EEG can be recorded during your symptoms.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a sleep deprived EEG - no findings. Of course I didn't have an episode while there. I will ask for an ambulatory EEG when I see my new neurologist this week. What are your thoughts on surgery vs radiation for a 2cm meningioma nearly occluding the Sagital Sinus near the crown of my head. I've been given both options and both sound scary.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

In general, the ideal treatment of a benign meningioma is surgical resection if possible. Considering the location of your meningioma, surgery is appropriate.