Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have clumping of my nerve roots from L3-4 to L5- S1 what

Customer Question

I have clumping of my nerve roots from L3-4 to L5- S1 what can be done for this condition im in alot of pain I went to a pain specialist and he told me to go to a neurosurgeon
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

Was the diagnosis adhesive arachnoiditis? Do you have the MRI report? Any one suggest a lumbar puncture? You could have this as a result of the ESI treatments. Please get back to me to discuss. Dr Frank

clumping of nerve roots can be a serious condition without many options for treatment. The condition is known as adhesive Pamela, Adhesive Arachnoiditis is serious and can be primarily a pain related syndrome, although weakness and sensory loss can follow and can be incapacitating. There are specific forms of this condition, I will send you a webpage on this in the next posting for your review. Sometimes the condition is "cauda equina syndrome" or CES, which can be from multiple lumbar disc degenerations at L3/4, L4,5 and L5,S1. So the MRI is useful to diagnose specific problems. In addition, for adhesive arachnoiditis, using gadolinium, the contrast agent for MRI, can help to diagnose. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help,, or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for this work thanks *****

http://www.cofwa.org/Arachnoiditis.htm