Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Yesterday afternoon I developed welts and rashes on my head,

Customer Question

Yesterday afternoon I developed welts and rashes on my head, around my ears, upper lip, between thighs & on back of legs, on my elbows and right foot.
Since 3 PM yesterday, I have taken 5 Benedril, out a maximum dosage of 6 in 24 hours.
I am wondering if I should go into the Emergency Room.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

First I will ask few questions so that I can gather additional information related to your health concerns.

1) Any obvious cause for these welts/rashes like any insect bite or exposure to chemicals, soap/detergent, medications, or any diet/food factors etc?

2) Are you having any fever?

3) Overall have you seen any improvement so far? Or is it worsening?

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I believe it is most likely psycho-somatic; symptoms appeared as I was composing an email to boyfriend, breaking up with him. He is a friend of very long standing & the only 'significant other' since my husband of 40 years died of a brain tumor -- so there is a large void on the other side of that relationship.There is also the generally stress- filled holiday season, although I always opt out of that; and I have some financial stresses - have to buy a new refrigerator - have been storing contents outside for about a week.

Thanks for all these additional information. I am typing the answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Okay I am ready and I am posting my answer here.

Yes I agree with you, since you are under stress these rashes could be stress/emotional related too (psychosomatic in nature).

If you feel the rashes are stable or getting better then there is no need to visit the ER.

However if you feel the rashes are worsening then it is better to visit the ER. This kind of generalized welts & rashes can be caused by psychological factors as pointed above (due to stress/emotional issues) however there are varieties of other factors too that can cause these and a careful skin examination by a Dr can help in diagnosing this. If rashes are worsening it is better to go to the ER so that the doctors there can examine these welts and rashes. If required they can also call a dermatologist (skin specialist) to come and examine you in the ER.

Once again to your main question – whether visiting ER is needed or not, the answer depends on the current status of the rashes, if rashes are stable or getting better then visiting ER is not necessary, you can wait & watch, on the otherhand if rashes are worsening then it is better to visit the ER so that a careful examination of the skin can be conducted and then treated appropriately.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor