Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I am writing who is rather computer illiterate. However, I

Customer Question

I am writing for wife who is rather computer illiterate. However, I have had a number of surgeries done and understand medical terminology well. My wife had bee experiencing back and leg pain for years. She also has diagnosed fibromyalgia, so it is difficult to determine how much that would enter into the situation. I had a laminotomy performed by a orthopedic back specialist. He was unsuccessful in alleviating any pain but did refer me to a physician who does steroid injections. This has been quite successful. I had heard that the Dr. was no longer operating because he has multiple myeloma. However he is consulting and I wanted him to get my wife a referral to the Dr. who injected me.Surprise! The Dr. I think is guilty of malpractice is now operating again. After a number of x-rays and MRIs he
advised he could do a laminotomy and insert a titanium Coflex device to strengthen the area. I have a complete
set of x-rays and operating room notes. The notes advised the area looked strong so the coflex was not needed but for some reason he continued to perform a double laminectomy. At no time was this ever discussed and his written proposal
mentioned nothing about this.By the end of the first day of the surgery it was evident that there was a serious problem. The Dr. couldn't get
any response from her leg muscles. He decided to open her up again any try to see if he could fix what ever
he could. This did not help at all. He left her with the hospital PT department to deal with her for two weeks. She was later transferred to a nursing home. We didn't see him until an office visit. He was in total shock when she came in in a wheel chair. He immediately referred her to a physiatrist. This Dr. advised a diagnosis of denervation. He also confirmed she has a cauda equine syndromeas she has virtually no control of her bladder and anal sphincters. So the story is that a fairly healthy woman is almost totally paralyzed from the waist down. She walked into surgery on July 6, 2015 and she hasn't walked or been able to control her self since. Regarding the double laminectomy, the only way he could have got consent is to wake her up in the operating room.We later found out he was still flying down to Houston weekly for treatment of his affliction. There must have been some success because most of his hair had regrown. However, I understand this is a very painful disease and has
he been able to get himself off the hard drugs?I would appreciate whatever advice you can offer. She is my life I am sitting here alone in our house while she is in a nursing home. We have been very active biking, hiking, and kayaking. A real bad situation.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I am a Board Certified Neurologist and will try to answer your question

To answer your question about wife and her present condition, I would ask you to send me any reports you have by the physiatrist that examened her after the surgery. I assume he did a complete examination including the neurological exam, and hopefully a neurodiagnostic evaluation (EMG) to discern the involvement of nerves coming from the lumbar spine area. I could explain those findings to you. Alternatively, please get back to me with more specific questions and I will respond. When satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for this work. thanks *****