Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Need advise, suffering a huge panick attack today, been

Customer Question

Need advise, suffering a huge panick attack today, been happening for at least 4 hrs. Feels like I have pressure in my head and next, imbalanced. Feel like it's a serious illness. Thanks
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have taken 1 and a half diazepam but still feel very strange, convinced it's a more sinister illness. Have suffered various episodes like this over the last 10yrs. Have had 3 bouts of CBT and also hypnotherapy.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. How can I help? Do you have a question? You have head pressure and feel imbalanced, is there anyone there with you that can verify you have problem with your balance? Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Just reply back and we can chat when you are available. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have taken 1 and a half diazepam but still feel very strange, not so much imbalanced but the pressure in my head is really concerning me! convinced it's a more sinister illness. Have suffered various episodes like this over the last 10yrs. Have had 3 bouts of CBT and also hypnotherapy
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

So from your statements, you feel this is another of those spells. What about your treatment options? Can you get back to CBT easily? The diazepam is not an issue here, unless you have larger size pills. What size were the diazepam in mg? Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My concerns are that I have something more serious. The head and neck pressure makes me worry the my brain is being. Consumed by a terminal illness.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pressure was there before I took the pills, it's the reason I'd had a full blown panick attack.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Ok. so it is not medication related, and that suggests it is a tension like pressure, the most likely reason being an attack similar as in the past. You need some treatment as it sounds like this is a bit out of control today. Do you have some options? Can I help with them? Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I want some reassurance that it is only tension pressure. My concern is tumours / cancer of lymph nodes or something in my neck. It really feels like something is consuming my mind, during attacks my mind feels like it shutting down, blacking out.
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

As complicated as Neurology can be, we have a saying. Common things are common. If you have a 10 year history of fighting this problem, you have to realize that by likelyhood, this is a similar occurance. Tension type pressure in the head is classically associate with increases in extracranial muscle tone, and we know from years of experience that a component to that is anxiety. If you have a health phobia, it would make sense that you express your symptoms in this fashion. It also sounds like you have gotten away from your treatment plan, and I would ask you to seriously consider trying it again as you will feel better over time. I hope I was able to alleviate your fears for today. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Damian, I hope I was able to answer all your questions, please get back to me anytime if I can help. If satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate this service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for this work. Thanks *****