Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Rotator cuff repair surgery on Nov 11. Recovery going fine.

Customer Question

Rotator cuff repair surgery on Nov 11. Recovery going fine. However, on Sunday I went through some new physical therapy exercises and the next day too sore some sharp pain. Haven't done Phy therapy since... It's early morning onThursday now and upper arm still sore , a bit swollenand warm to the touch. I can't sleep because I can't get in a comfortable position. Please advise
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello Welcome to JA. You are going to have some adhesions formed in the SITS tendon sheath as a result of the surgery. You are 6 weeks out from Rotator Cuff Repair, and Physical Therapy is always a bumpy road where there are episodes of pain and even swelling interspersed with improvements in strength and range of motion. My suggestion would be to ice the joint over the next day, use an NSAID medication, and then return to the Physical Therapist to inform him/her of this change. The therapist will examine you for elevations in the supraspinatus tendon (do you know if the orthopedist used anchoring hardware?) to suggest there has been a new development of a tear or a wound dehiscence (tearing of the subcutaneous fascia). If not, you can resume PT with less strain and check for results. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, if you have the operative report, please paste in the information minus your name or identifying information as this is a public forum. I will reply. If satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for this work, just click on the rating stars. thanks *****