Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I find myself lying and very angry in situations I cannot

Customer Question

I find myself lying and very angry in situations I cannot control. If I am with a friend and we don't agree on something- I get very agitated...I am 64 yrs. old, my lying to suit myself is coming out of I have no idea. Then I get very quiet and my behavior makes me very sad.HELP
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. What you are describing is was called frontal lobe disinhibition syndrome. It is common in all of us as we age, but can be included in initial symptoms to suggest certain neurodegenerative disorders like frontotemporal lobe degeneration (FTD degeneration) or pick's disease. Stress can certainly be a stimulant to this type of behavior as well of course, but you have to question if your memory or visual perception of objects are changing, if you have a problem of orientation in time and space, etc. A behavioral neurologist is the doctor to examine you, using a variety of neurometric tests if needed. Contributors to this behavior can be long standing hypertension, or other vascular diseases, toxic encephalopathy from alcohol, drugs, or vitamin deficiency states (Vit B12, D). Dementia effects around 15% of the population at age 65, it climbs to near 50% by age 85. There are special neuroimaging tests that can also be done to evaluate for Picks or dementia if necessary based on the cognitive testing and rating scales. Please get back to me to discuss this further and I will reply, or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service if satisfied. Dr Frank