Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I am a 44 Year old female. After about a decade of one

Customer Question

I am a 44 Year old female. After about a decade of one migraine quarterly (since the birth of my son - no problem, inconvenient, but once every 3 months or so I try to sleep and in a few days in passes). Well, about three years ago, I had gotten off of birth control pills (after roughly 20 years on a tricyclic pill), I was working a lot of 16 hour days and swing shifts in my professional career which I loved and had been doing for over 20 years. This mixed with some family stress and perhaps some early signs of menopause have me in a complete mess. I had to take disability from my job because I am experiencing 15-20 migraines per month with aura. It's hard to track because it is hard to tell when one ends and another begins. I've been trying to build my own treatment team with my neurologist, my primary care physician, my OB/GYN, my psychiatris, etc. however, my neurologist no longer wants to help me because I have gained weight since my initial visit. With my progesterone changes along with 2 medications from my psychiatrist having weight gain warnings. I assume some is attributable to that. However, with chronic migraines, I also was not really pushing hard to exercise. My neurologist decided to stop treating me because he felt I was being non-compliant because I didn't lose weight. Note: also being treated for insomnia and depression. How should I go about getting the right treatment team in place?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

Hello. welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read that preliminary answer and respond. we can discuss your situation until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

It sounds from your description of intractable migraine that botox injection therapy seems warranted. Was your neurologist providing that service? As you know you will need that every 3 months. I am not exactly sure of your question, "how do I go about getting the right treatment team in place?" You are questioning how to find a new neurologist? If that is the question, I would suggest you go to the academy of neurology website, www.aan.com, and look up under the provider directory a neurologist in your area. If the question is more about a treatment team, then you should pick on of your present clinicians that you like the best (your OB?) and ask her about a neurologist that works as a team player. I do know a female neurologist that works in concert with obgyn at women's hospitals treating migraine. Get back to me to discuss this further if I can help and I will reply to your questions, or if satisfied, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for this work. thanks *****

Karen, I hope I was able to answer your question. Please get back to me anytime if I can help. If satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how i am compensated for this work Just click on the rating stars. thanks *****