Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have a daughter that has severe headaches. They put her in

Customer Question

I have a daughter that has severe headaches. They put her in bed for days. She throws up gets confused. Meds don't help but so long. When she goes to the er they give her a iv then sends her back home. In the past 3 months she has gotten worse she is seeing ghosts and has the shakes. Her dr. Don't seem to really help. I am worried about a tumor.
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Toward the end of the headaches she gets very on her legs. She also has started having bowel movements on her self.she won't even bath now.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for query,

Symptoms including headaches, vomiting and confusion should be fully evaluated. I would suggest you should take her to neurologist to have thorough physical examination and imaging of the head most common CT scan to rule out any organic cause like any mass or growth or increase intracranial pressure so that proper diagnosis can be made and treated accordingly. Her basic blood tests complete blood picture, electrolyte profile, renal functions and liver functions needs to be checked as well.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Best Wishes.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am a board certified Neurologist and will answer your question, we can discuss her situation until you are satisfied. Your daughter is being treated as if she has migraine headaches, the most likely diagnosis given your reported symptoms. Migraine is generally divided into two categories, classic and common. Classic migraine (migraine with aura) usually starts with a prodrome (she feels it coming on) and has triggers (stress, bright lights, sounds, certain foods, sinus disease, etc) to start the headache. These headaches usually have visual symptoms (scintillations) of bright jagged lights in her vision just prior to the headache. It usually is pulsatile on one side.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Common migraine is a vascular headache that is throbbing, or at least has some components of throbbing headache, and has triggers. The triggers can vary widely, and she should also feel it coming on, a sense of dread, whatever. Doesn't have to have visual changes in common migraine. With both migraine headache types, you can and often do get nausea and vomiting, and they can last hours. Rarely do you awake from sleep with a migraine. Another kind of migraine is called migraine variant, or complex migraine. It is common migraine that extends itself to give other symptoms, like stroke like weakness, dizziness, numbness. You can have seizures as part of migraine headache. You can even have stroke-like weakness (Todds paralysis) as part of migraine headache lasting hours.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

So there are things that differentiate headaches from tumors from migraine. Tumor headache is actually a late manifestation of the development of the brain tumor. In the most virulent brain tumor (GBM), headaches come on after the tumor has reached a size to cause edema and pushing structures around (mass effect). than comes late. Tumor headaches are usually in the morning, it wakes the patient up from sleep, and then resolves during the day as the swelling subsides. You have focal findings on the tumor patient, with or without the headache. Weakness, numbness, double vision, constant dizziness, etc.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Your daughter should be evaluated by a Neurologist in the office for a complete Neurological exam. And then possibly an MRI scan of the brain, based on findings on the exam, or a lack of response to medical treatment. We can discuss her medications for migraine here online, so get back to me if you wish to discuss her treatment. I hope I answered your question, please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, or remember to rate my service if satisfied with this answer as that is how I am compensated for this work. Just click on the rating stars Thanks *****