Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

How can I determine the source of the outer surfaces of my

Customer Question

Customer: How can I determine the source of the outer surfaces of my thighs feeling cold? To the touch they they are warm. It feels as if something is running down my leg?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It occurs when I have been standing for a short time. It is a sensation only, for the skin is warm.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Neurology Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Why is there a sensation of cold running down my outer thighs? It occurs when I have been standing, as while doing dishes. The skin is warm to the touch. Sometimes there is stinging.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and respond shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond, we can discuss this until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

What you are describing is called paresthesis, a abnormal cutaneous sensation. It can be tingling, or stinging sensation, or a abnormal feeling of warmth or cold. This is usually seen in the context of a peripheral neuropathy. If this is your thigh, then it is the proximal form of sensory neuropathy, usually called small fiber neuropathy. It can be seen in a variety of metabolic conditions, termed the "metabolic syndrome". This includes diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol or triglycerides, or thyroid conditions, the most common being hypothyroidism. The way small fiber neuropathy is diagnosed is by doing a skin biopsy, (a 5mm punch) that can be done in your doctor's office and sent to the lab. I do not know how old you are, what is your gender, or other medical problems, but this is the most common problem cutaneous sensory neuropathy of middle age. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, or if satisfied, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for this work. thanks *****

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. please check the answer I left for you, and reply. I might be able to help with your condition. Dr Frank