Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My son is 20. He was diagnosed with epilepsy. He has been on

Customer Question

My son is 20. He was diagnosed with epilepsy. He has been on Vimpat for 2 months., He just had a 2 to 3 min. seisure. He is
ok now. Should i take him to the hospital. I cannot take him to the doctor till Monday.,
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I am here to help. Vimpat is a medication for epilepsy but is used as an adjunctive medication. An " add on" with another AED when better seizure control is needed.

So is he on another AED in addition? If your son is alert, awake and appropriate, he does not have to go to the ER. He could contact his neurologist if he has one to discuss his current medications and if some change is needed. Please get back to me to discuss this further. Or if satisfied with this answer please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars. Thanks. *****

I saw your other posting. There is no blood level to be checked with VIMPAT.

Alternatively, if he suddenly stopped taking VIMPAT that would be a common reason to have a seizure. Dr Frank

If you get this message put your phone number into the offer box and I will call you. Dr Frank

Hello. We never connected but I wanted to send you some information. Abrupt discontinuation of Vimpat is a known cause not only for a single seizure, but to go into status epilepticus, which is a life threatening continuous seizure lasting more than 10 minutes. I hope that answers your question, please get back to me if you wish to discuss this issue, I can send you data on studies reinforcing my statement to you, or whatever you wish. Please remember to rate my service if satisfied with this answer as that is how I am compensated for my work, just click on the rating stars. thanks *****