Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I walk on the side of my right foot I wear a brace to hold

Customer Question

I walk on the side of my right foot I wear a brace to hold my foot straight but I have a large callous on the outside of my foot what can I do to stop this?
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this has never really bothered me in the past but,now it is getting sore and hurts to put pressure on it!
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

hello. You have a difficult problem. Do you have a genu varum deformity from osteoarthritis at the knee? There is not much you can do to correct this now. In terms of the callous, there are callous cremes containing urea or alpha hydroxyl acids to soften and remove the callous, but I don't know of a specific cure. I assume you have seen an orthopedist about the alignment of your tibia/fibula? At a younger age, you would do a tibial osteotomy to shave the top of the tibia in order to get a more straight alignment. Get back to me if I can help Dr Frank

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This has been a slight problem for years,but I had a total knee replacement in 2012 and since then the problem has gotten worse and my ankle orthropedist put me in this brace and that is when the callous started forming

Have you used the "dissolving" crème? It takes a few days and you need a loofa, or some scrubber that you use in the shower after applying the crème for a few days. When the callous softens, the pressure is much less on the nerve endings, and there is no pain, but you still will need the padding of course, Other than shoe orthotics, there is not much else you can do to correct the problem dr Frank