Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Past six months I noticed my speech getting slower and to

Customer Question

For the past six months I noticed my speech getting slower and harder to articulate. I've also had major foot drop on my right foot and muscle twitches throughout my leg. Right arm had twitches and is now losing mobility. Strangely enough, though, my arm
still has full feeling. Too nervous to go to the doctor. I fear it is ALS.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

1) Any family history of ALS (Any close family member like parents or siblings affected)?

2) Any family history of any other neurological illnesses?

3) Are there any sensory symptoms like numbness, tingling feeling (pins & needle feeling), pain etc?

4) Are there any additional symptoms like neck pain, headache, losing bowel or bladder control etc?

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello,Here are answers:1. A great aunt had ALS back in the 1980s2. Not that I know of3. Some light pain but no tingling. Just muscle twitches and loss of muscle mass4. No other symptoms I can place my finger onThanks.

Thanks for all these additional information. I am typing the answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Okay I am ready and I am posting my answer here.

To be honest with you - you do have neurological manifestations that can be seen in a case of ALS. But the absence of strong family history is a favourable point for you (great aunt having or had als is not a strong family history, if parents or sibling having or had als then it is a strong family history, it seems your great aunt had non-hereditary type of als), since you are around age 28 ALS is very uncommon around this age, if family history is positive then one may get ALS around this young age, since family history is negative in your case it considerably reduces the possibility of ALS in you because of your young age.

There are neurological conditions that can mimic ALS - for example a type of motor neuropathy called as MMNCB (Multifocal motor neuropathy with conduction block) can present similar to ALS. Certain structural problems in the craniocervical junction (junction of lower brain stem and upper cervical spinal cord) can also cause symptoms resembling ALS. There could be certain structural problems in the motor areas of the brain too that can mimic ALS. There are certain viral illnesses that can cause ALS like features.

So your symptoms do not automatically imply this is ALS. This needs to be clinically evaluated further. Please try to see a neurologist asap so that you can receive a thorough neurological examination followed by certain relevant investigations like an EMG/Nerve conduction test (a nerve & muscle test), and an MRI scan of the craniocervical junction & brain, and any other relevant tests as necessary and then appropriately treated depending upon the test results.

Once again I reassure you there are conditions that can mimic ALS, so please not to suspect the worst by assuming it is already ALS, this could be some ALS mimicker too; please try to see a neurologist and the evaluation as discussed above asap.

Age factor & no family history are in favour of you, and I wish you all the very best with your tests!

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor

Hi, have you received my answer posted above? I hope you are not encountering any technical glitches preventing you from reaching this site properly.

If you wish to discuss your health concerns further please let me know and I will be very glad to continue helping you further as long as you feel necessary.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor