Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

Lt sided face and lip go numb apparent cause. Short lived

Customer Question

Lt sided face and lip go numb for no apparent cause. Short lived then returns to feeling normal . Cause?????
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Dr Frank

Do you have high blood pressure or diabetes? Are you a smoker or have high cholesterol or a history of migraine? Please give me the exact distribution of the numbness. Does it stay within the V1,2,or 3 distribution on the face? Get back to me me and we can discuss your issue. Dr Frank

As you haven't replied I will leave you a preliminary answer. Right sided facial numbness in the absence of weakness or tingling that does not cross the midline in a women your age would suggest a sensory lacunar TIA or transient ischemic attack or could be seen from a vascular malformation (venous angioma or AVM) in the area of the left thalamus or left posterior internal capsule. You would need an MRI of the brain as part of your evaluation. If you have other symptoms or the neurologist might order other tests such as an eeg or brainwave test. Please get back to me to discuss this further or if satisfied please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars. Dr Frank Thanks.