Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I have had a knee and p replacement in my left p. I am

Customer Question

I have had a knee and hip replacement in my left hip. I am having sever pain in my left theigh at times it causes me to fall. What could be.wrong?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. It is hard for me to give you a specific answer to your question from here. There are many reasons for having a problem with load bearing when you have two artificial joints in the same leg. It could be an alignment problem which comes from an inability of a muscle in the back of your knee (platysma) to contract in synchrony with the rest of the leg in order to flex, and that causes an instability and you fall. Or the knee replacement it could be changing the joint space from the head of the femur around the acetabulum of the hip, causing the pain in the thigh and pain causes you to fall. You need some xrays of both joints to evaluate the problem. Have you spoken to your orthopedist? You can get back to me on this and let me know what he thought and I can explain it more in detail. I can also suggest locations for second opinion if you feel you are not getting the correct answer. If you are satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for my work., just click on the rating stars. thanks *****

Did they tell you this was a stress related anxiety syndrome? I am not sure how you can have problems with your balance and be told you have a normal neurological examination. Those two statements do not go together. Do you think they were uneasy to tell you they think you are normal? If you have a normal MRI, and neurological signs (meaning findings on neuro examination) you get a lumbar puncture to try and ascertain if you have condition that gives you a normal MRI with findings). Those disorders include isolated CNS vasculitis, or a variety of auto immune inflammatory syndromes, since you were traveling, more rare disorders such as Behcet's disease have to be considered. In addition, more progressive forms of demyelinating disease (PPMS) can initially present with normal MRI's. Alternatively, there are genetic conditions, like spinocerebellar atrophy, which can come on later in life (you are too young at your present age). But again, these conditions have findings on the neurological examination. So I cannot diagnose you from here, but I am puzzled by your statement of having symptoms of balance problems, and having a normal neurological examination. The fasciculations are really non specific, and are known to occur just in the environment of stress, as well as endocrine disorders, electrolyte disorders, potassium channelopathies, etc. Please get back to me to discuss this further if I can help, or if satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for my work Thanks Dr frank