Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

My left leg and foot go num and it is hard to walk had a MRI

Customer Question

my left leg and foot go num and it is hard to walk
had a MRI Dr. says back problem
I can barely walk
what can be done ??
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 12 months ago.

Hello Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read that preliminary answer and respond, we can discuss your issue until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Do you have your MRI report? Please upload the report leaving out your name or identifying information. Tell me about your problem, are you weak, numb or both on your legs? where? do you have spinal claudication, meaning you get weak with prolonged walking? how far can you walk without stopping? do you have increased pain with sitting, bowel movements or coughing/straining? Get back to me and we can discuss your issue, or rate my service if satisfied. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I will not talk yo my Dr. till monday for the MRI report .
the old mri showed backm problems
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I use a walker to get around

It sounds from here that you have spinal stenosis, that you have an arthritic condition effecting your lower back. This is a degenerative disorder, so to find benefit from treatment you have to look for specific changes that are correctible surgically, like herniated lumbar discs, or facet hypertrophy that can be addressed safely. There are other techniques that are less invasive like epidural steroid injection therapy, and there is physical therapy coupled to medications for pain and to reduce inflammation. You are on two of those medications, hydrocodone for nociceptive pain in the lumbar spine, and gabapentin for neuropathic pain from pinched nerves in the lumbar spine. You can discuss medication doses or any other aspect of that management, just ask questions and I will respond. If you get your MRI scan, you can upload it minus your name as this is a public forum. If you are satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars, as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks *****