Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

The pinky side of my wrist has been puffy couple weeks now!

Customer Question

The pinky side of my wrist has been puffy for a couple weeks now! It doesn't at all hurt, it's just bigger than my left one! I didn't have any injury to it and then yesterday I noticed the pinky side of my palm is slightly swollen! Doesn't hurt, just swollen and I'm scared to death of cancer! Please help
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and respond shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and reply, we can discuss this until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Can you take a picture of your wrist and upload it? IF possible, have someone take another picture of both of your wrists side by side, showing the asymmetry that you note. thanks *****

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any current infections or inflammatory problems, like intestinal inflammation giving diarrhea, or any rashes or other joint symptoms? do you have a history of arthritis or arthritis in your family, any other medical problems? any medications you are currently taking? get back to me with that information and I will send you a useful answer. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't think I have arthritis that runs in my family that I know of! I did have a rash head to toe about a week and half-2 weeks ago. I went to local dr and they gave me a steriod shot because they thought it was a bad allergic reaction to some essential oils I was using trying to help my headache!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's hard to see in these pics, but you can see the little red spot about an inch or so below my wrist on my right hand and that is where is starts to come on at and it goes up pretty well to the big puffy part of my hand, there on my pinky side palm of hand!
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I can see the change best in the first picture that you loaded. That red spot is right over the pisiform bone of the wrist. There is a tendon that runs from that bone as part of fascia from the muscles of the forearm and attaches into the hypothenar eminence, which is the pad of muscle just under the pinky. all of that seems inflamed, and follows the ulnar nerve distribution to the hand. This is also some type of rash, it is called neurodermatitis, for lack of a better term because it follows a nerve distribution. Other names is eczema, if it becomes a true rash and scaling. The reason is why? My suspicion is that it is a residual to the allergic response that you had a few weeks back. The steroids suppressed the total body rash, but now some residual features have come back. Any other known exposure you are currently getting, to soaps or oils or fungi in the home, or cats/dogs allergies/?? My suggestion for treatment is to wash it gently with a neutral soap, and get yourself some 2% hydrocortisone ointment that you can get OTC at any pharmacy. This is not cancer in any form, if it is not hot, it is not an infectious cellulitis, but an inflammatory condition giving you a localized rash now. Please get back to me with questions if I can help. If you have some antihistamines at home like benedryl, or even Claritin, or allegra D, take that as it will help to reduce the redness. If satisfied with this answer, please remember to rate my service as that is how I am compensated for this work, just click on the rating stars. thanks *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for easing my mind! I worry so...
Thanks for easing my mind! I worry so much about cancer because I do have that on both my mom and dads side of the family! I actually did notice my wrist was bigger than the other one as I was looking at my rash, my wrist has been alittle bigger and puffier there since then, but I just noticed my hand swelling also yesterday, did this one go thru? I tried it earlier and it wouldn't work
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

yes, it went through, so this is where your rash started most likely. this could be contact allergy, or some kind of insect bite which mounted an inflammatory reaction and this is all that is left. get back to me if I can help Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so it should go away on its own without trouble then? No need to go to local dr you don't think?
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

it should go away, try the 2% HC ointment and/or some benedryl. Get back to me if it doesn't change. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you recommend wrapping it tight? With an ace bandage or something? Trying to push the inflammation in? I called a local dr and they mentioned wrapping it and trying an anti inflammatory medicine, but have no idea what's causing it. They didn't act like they really knew for sure! So came back to you for more help!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It also doesn't itch, I looked up neurodermitis and it says it itches?? I don't have itching or pain, it's just swollen? Bigger than the other one
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi. You don't have to have itching. But if you got a response to the antihistamine that would suggest neurodermatitis. Yes. You should wrap it to control swelling and take aleve or an NSAIDs as was suggested. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it hasn't changed any after antihistamine, I actually take claritin daily to help my sinus allergies
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Then it probably isn't neurodermatitis but a residual from your rash. I would wrap it and take NSAID medication. If it doesn't get better in a few days you need to go back to your MD to exclude cellulitis or an infectious etiology.

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I hope I was able to answer all your questions. Please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. Thanks. Dr Frank

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems to be that tendon on that side, I can move it when I push on it from the side
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

We can discuss it over the phone. I will put out the phone option. Enter your number and a time to call and I will call you about this. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

I hope I was able to answer your question. Please get back to me anytime if you have further questions. Please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars as that is how I am compensated for my work. thanks *****