Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

My husband is 78 and he has just told me that he has

Customer Question

Customer: My husband is 78 and he has just told me that he has numbness over his left upper lip since noon today. I have been reading literature about trigeminal nerves. My question is, Is it okay to wait until morning to go to the ED? He put his bite plate in about 20 minutes ago and it got worse. He is reporting slight pain about a half hour ago. Pain has subsided. (I am a psychologist, used to work in the Valley Care in Pleasanton, CA)
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am at a loss as to what else to say.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Neurology Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: That is okay with us. We will wait. It's 12:20 am here.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 12 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist; the expert to whom this question was originally addressed is not available now so the company has made this question available to other experts too and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Coming to the discussion;

If the numbness is confined just to the upper lip without any other associated symptoms like whole facial numbness, facial droop, speech difficulties, drooping of eye lid, double vision, or new symptoms in his arm or leg (like weakness, loss of sensation) etc then he can wait till morning to go to ED. If he is having any of the above mentioned symptoms then it is important he visits ED tonight itself because we need to rule out a stroke. However if the above mentioned additional symptoms are absent then waiting till morning is fine because stroke is unlikely to present with numbness just isolated to upper lip.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and if you feel you have received the answer to your question please rate me so that I can receive credit for the time and effort put by me in answering your question.

Best regards,

Neuro Doctor