Dr. Frank
Dr. Frank, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board certified general Adult Neurologist, with experience in experimental neuroimaging and neurodiagnostics.
64994909

I am a 75 year old female. months I have been having a

Customer Question

I am a 75 year old female. For several months I have been having a sunburn like burning on my arms and hands, no rash or hives. Lately I have had two or three brown patches about the size of a dime or smaller that hurt for a day or two and a very few very small red bumps. I have had labs done and were all OK. I saw a dermatologist who did not know and said to see a neurologists. I have not done so yet thinking it is not that! I have an appointment with another dermatologist in two weeks for his opinion. It does not seem to bother me at night. I am not diabetic. I have copd and have been on several drugs including predisone, antibiotic, Spiriva respimat, proair hfa, as well as bystolic for blood pressure and sertraline for anxiety. I am very much a worry wart about a lot of things. Please give me your opinion. Thank you so much. XXX XXXX
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to JA. I will review your statement and reply shortly. Please read this preliminary answer and respond. We can discuss this until you are satisfied. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

Hi. The burning sensation on your hands and arms. Is it a distal distribution like you were wearing evening gloves? Is it symmetric? Is it on your feet and legs. If you look at patients with neuropathy, about a third do not have a reason, they have "idiopathic " or essential neuropathy. Many of those have small fiber type which is what yours sounds like from here (?). I will send you a webpage on small fiber neuropathy. Take a look at it and get back to me to discuss. Or if satisfied please remember to rate my service by clicking on the rating stars. Thanks. Dr Frank

Expert:  Dr. Frank replied 1 year ago.

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/small-fiber-neuropathy