Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

Please only answer if neurologist. I have been diagnosed

Customer Question

Hi. Please only answer if neurologist. I have been diagnosed with (suspected) simple partial seizures. My neurologist recommended that I have MRI scans etc to see what was happening, but I never made a follow-up appointment (although I will now do so).
I am really worried about damage to my memory. I very rarely have seizures but the last one I had was particularly bad. For about five minutes, I didn't know hold I was, and I couldn't work it out. It subsided and everything was back to normal. Are there any
tests I can take to see if the seizures have caused damage?
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, *I didn't know how old I was.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

MRI is the best test to se if the seizures have causes damage or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How extensive can the damage be with simple partial seizures?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what kind of damage would it be? What would be the worst case scenario going forward with this kind of damage?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Actually MRI could detect the cause of the seizures as well as the damage. The damage includes changes in hippocampal and cerebellar volumes and neocortical volume. It could cause memory problems and mood disorders.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you. It seems as though you are speaking about damage as likely, as you say 'The damage includes...', rather than 'possible damage'. Is this the case?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

The change in the area could cause damage to memory. I think this means "damage" you mentioned.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
My question is about the *likelihood* of damage after seizures.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Also, if there is damage, and the seizures are then controlled with medication, would memory continue to deteriorate? Or would it stay constant?
Expert:  khagihara replied 12 months ago.

Memory problem is a complication of seizures. If they are controlled with medications, the problem stays constant.